Monday, June 22, 2009

No, we're not having kids yet.

I was very offended today when two separate people questioned me about having kids. Neither of these people really know me well so I can't be too upset with them, but it's the principle of the matter that just seems downright rude to me. One girl asked me about when we were thinking about having kids and after telling her my reasoning she said, "Well, you're days are numbered since you are 25." TWENTY FIVE!!!! When did this become past-due baby having age?! Last I checked 25 did not mean that your days were numbered for the having of the babies.

Oh, just wait, the next one was worse.

Another girl that I go to school with pulled me aside and asked if ::GET THIS:: I was having some marital problems. I responded with an emphatic no but I could tell by the look on her face that she didn't believe me. When I asked why she would think such a thing she said it was because we had been married "so long" without having any kids. Well excuuuuuuuse me! I guess that since I didn't have a baby at 17, that automatically means I'm having marital problems. Because I didn't have a baby and thennnnn get married, it means that my marriage is failing. Because I'm completely happy with my wonderful husband and best friend, doing youth ministry, living in a rent house, training a new puppy, loving my life, that suddenly qualifies me as a divorcee. Humph! I couldn't believe the nerve! That is such a sensitive subject for so many people, I mean, what if I had like a bum ovary or something?!

I do look forward to building a family....one day. I wanna know what you think: Is it ever okay to ask someone about their plans to start a family? 

7 comments:

adam barnett said...

What I think - it is ok to ask a friend when they're starting a family... but MINUS the marital problems comment because that's just stupid! If they really knew you, they'd know that you and Wopsle are stinkin content together!!!!

by the way... i'm listening to Kari Jobe's most recent album IN SPANISH. Gotta check it out!!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I have had similar questions from people. I do not think it is any of anyone's business when or if or how I'm going to have children. I think it is nosey and none of anyone's business but that of my husband and I. Furthermore, the assumption that no children is an indication of marital problems is ridiculous and shows a lack of "TACK"(Ha!).

Marla JoAnn said...

People ask us that ALL. THE. TIME. And I often can't figure out what I'm supposed to say to satisfy them. Usually I just scrunch up my face and say ewwww no. :)

adam barnett said...

I think it's about time you write again, friend. :o)

gabriel724 said...

I get that q a lot too. my response is usually that im not old enough and ive got a few years on ya. im always surprised that people would encourage me to procreate, honestly. lol

gabriel724 said...

how the crap did i get the name divine moment? i probably wouldn't have posted had i known. lol. this is gabe and please never refer to me as divine moment!