Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Change the 'tude

Have you ever tried to inspire a group of people by simply asking them to change their attitude? Seriously, go try it.

In preparation for our upcoming recital, I told my hip hop class of 11 girls ages 9-12 years old that I needed them to be leaders at our upcoming company practice. Thinking that at least I could pull this little speech out of my back pocket when convenient I never expected them to actually take it seriously. So the next day when all 100 company members showed up hyped up on sugar, hopped up on adrenaline from the week, and full of little dancer energy, I was shocked to find them sitting quietly and doing their stretches when I arrived. I was so impressed that a 3 minute pep talk about being flexible and cooperative had impacted their actions.

Last night we had dress rehearsal at our performance space and and upon entering I could already feel my shoulders getting tight. I heard grown women yelling obscenities and making cynical remarks about all things that don't really matter. When I got on stage that attitude of my older girls (12-18 year olds) matched the heat of the lights boring down on the back of my neck. They were rude, ready to criticize each other, the production, and even me. I took it personally and hurries hastily through our practice time.

When I got home, I told Wopsle though gritted teeth the whole story. He asked me if I had given them the same talk that I gave my younger girls. "Why on earth would I have to give my older girls the same talk I gave my younger girls?" is what I wondered. Wopsle could tell my frustration and remarked that it sounded like even the oldest girls, the women, the MOMS! even needed this talk. WOW! We all need to be reminded to check our attitudes sometime, no matter what our age. There are some situations that we cannot control but that our complaining, whining, and fit throwing will do nothing to help.

Phil 2:12-14
"12Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, 13for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. 14Do everything without complaining or arguing, 15so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault..."

No comments: